Skip to Site Navigation | Skip to Local Navigation | Skip to Content

Original text

Ask Cabrillo

left: students walking; right: students graduating


To get started, type a question in the box below. For example: "How do I apply to Cabrillo?"

Our Best Answer
When am I considered an independent student?

In order to be considered as an independent student for Financial Aid purposes, you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Be 24 years of age or older;
  • Be married;
  • Be enrolled in a graduate or professional degree program;
  • Be currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces;
  • Be a veteran of U.S. Armed Forces;
  • Have children who receive more than half of their support from you;
  • Have dependents other than your children or spouse;
  • Be a dependent/ward of the court or be in foster care;
  • Be an emancipated minor;
  • Be in legal guardianship;
  • Be an unaccompanied youth/homeless determined by high school or district liaison;
  • Be an unaccompanied youth/homeless determined by the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing;
  • Be an unaccompanied youth/homeless or at risk of being homeless determined by the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center.

For further information regarding Financial Aid, please visit

Are you satisfied with your answer?

Having trouble finding your answer?
    Was this page helpful?  Yes  No
Ask Cabrillo WebAdvisor Cabrillo Library Cabrillo Bookstore  Canvas icon  Facebook Icon Twitter Icon YouTube

© 2013 Cabrillo Community College District

Campus Safety | Accessibility

Main Campus, 6500 Soquel Drive Aptos CA 95003, 831.479.6100